July 10, 2014 5 minute read
It is HOT outside. My signature glowing look has quickly become a glossy look. But I dig it. I think we should all just embrace the sheen and work with it. Here’s how.
I’m not loving how foundation works in this hot and sweaty situation. I know I said I changed my mind here, but I take it all back. That was May, this is July. Foundation is not our friend. For a base, I start with a clean face – SPF 30, always – and apply concealer to any problem areas (redness around the nose and chin, pimples, scars, under eye circles).
1. Neutrogena Clear Face SPF 30, $10.49: This gives the ultimate glowing base. CeraVe is awesome for more makeup, but Neutrogena is a perfect start for that summer sheen.
2. DiorSkin Nude, $32 in 001 Ivory: I love the hydrating and silky lightweight feel to this concealer. It’s similar to the Lancôme Maquicomplet Complete Coverage Concealer, $30 and more opaque than the RMS “Un” Cover-Up, $36. I just love how it has a dewy finish even with its ability to cover spots and even out your skin tone.
I love a warm bronze for the eyes and a good black mascara. Since it’s summer, and water – whether from sweat or the pool – is bound to land on your face at some point, I suggest going waterproof on your lashes.
1. Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer, $19. I’m not too fussy with what brand of eyeshadow base I use, but this one has been good to me. I apply it all over my eyelid.
3. Dolce & Gabbana The Eyeliner Crayon Intense, $35 in #19 Imperial Topaz. The microfine gold glitter gives a really nice sparkle. I’m not much of an eyeliner gal, but I’ve found myself wearing this on alone quite often as well. Just line you upper lid and the outer corner below your eye. Smudge the lower line.
4. Laura Mercier Bronzing Pressed Powder, $32 in Dune Bronze: I dab a little on top of the RMS Buriti Bronzer to set it in place. I love the warmth of this bronzer.
5. RMS Living Luminizer, $38: I wish I could tell you that I’d found a new highlighter, but nothing compares to RMS. I’ve raved about it here and here and here, and I’ll rave about it again now. It’s the perfect light reflecting highlighter that absolutely makes it seem as if you’re glowing from the inside out. Apply this to the inner corner of your eyes, inner eyelid, below your eyebrow, in a C shape from the tip of your eyebrow and along the top of your cheekbone, and on your cupid’s bow.
6. Benefit Watt’s Up, $39. I apply this on top of the Living Luminizer in the inner corners of my eyes for that extra bright effect. It is a beautiful, soft, champagne highlighter.
7. Maybelline New York Lash Discovery Mini Brush Waterproof Mascara, $8 in Very Black. This is my newest waterproof mascara purchase, and I decided to stay in the Maybelline family. It’s cry, sweat, exercise and swim proof. I’ve tested it. After curling my lashes, I apply one layer, wait 2 minutes, and then apply a second layer. Its small brush is perfect for layering sans clumps!
1. Bobbi Brown Cream Color for Lips & Cheeks, $39 in Honeyed Tea. Love this blush – it’s beautiful on porcelain skin. And this shade also doubles as a bronzer. I like to apply this to the apples of my cheeks and then blend up to my hairline.
I like a warm nude rose tint for my lips with this look. I rarely do an actual lipstick because unless I tote extra straws around with me (which happens), my constant eating and drinking ruins even the longest wearing products. So I always lean towards stains.
1. Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Vernis À Lèvres Glossy Stain, $38 in #29 Rose Forreau. My favourite, favourite, favourite lip stain. It’s highly moisturizing and long-lasting. It smells gorgeous too.
I love a glossy lid and brow. That is all.
1. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour® Cream Skin Protectant, $21.The finishing touch for this look. Of course, you know all about this award winning cream, but it’s just so effective it never goes out of style. 90% of makeup artists I work with have it in their kits. So just dab a bit on top of the lids and blend into the bronzers. Then apply a pea-sized amount over each eyebrow. Brush up.